We can all breath out now, the year is almost over, and the madness is coming to an end. Thankfully we’ve had the genius and generosity of musicians to get us by. I couldn’t help but notice that three albums on my TOP 10 ALBUMS of 2016 list are heavily steeped in politics (A Seat At The Table, Freetown Sound, Sirens). It’s been a chaotic, strange year, and because of that an immensely expressive one. So cheers to 2016 and bring on 2017 — I don’t doubt it’ll be another rollercoaster.
Speaking of expressive, one album that captivated me like no other was Angel Olsen’s ‘My Woman’. A mammoth, swirling album, Olsen hypnotised with her rich, commanding vocals and lucid, dream pop guitar riffs. She’s a true rockstar.
1. Angel Olsen – My Woman
2. Solange – A Seat At The Table
3. Blood Orange – Freetown Sound
4. BadBadNotGood – IV
5. Youandewan – There Is No Right Time
6. Mike & Rich – Expert Knob Twiddlers
7. Nicolas Jaar – Sirens
8. Yussef Kamaal – Black Focus
9. James Blake – The Colour In Anything
10. Weyes Blood – Front Row Seat To Earth
Telephones – ‘Vibe Telemetry’, Mr Fingers – ‘Outer Space’, Radiohead – ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’
author: Natalia Morawski